In season 1952, C. H. Smith organised the first post-war tour to Devon. John Baker played
the first of his 9 first class games for Somerset. David Evans scored over 1000 runs. The
East Ground was officially opened in 1953 and Evans played 8 games as an amateur for
Somerset that season.
A ”Brighter Cricket 6-a-Side Competition”, was held at the Devonshire Road Ground
on August 15th 1954. It attracted 3000 spectators and was won by Essex C.C.C.
The first Weston CC Annual Club Handbook was published that year. At the end of that
season, the recently built New Pavilion and Clubhouse were officially opened.
“Brighter Cricket Sixes” was successful again in 1955 and so were the winners Essex C.C.C.
Trevor Jones, the former Somerset player, joined Weston and topped the Saturday 1st XI
averages. John Baker took 10 for 16 against Keynsham in 1956. The Lord’s Day
Observance Society did not approve of charging admission for the “6-a-side Sunday event”,
so admission was free, but you were asked to buy a programme once inside.
Weston, captained by Des Campkin in 1957 played the M.C.C for the first time.
Weston defeated the 1957 formidable Pakistan Eaglets Touring Side by 7 wickets. The
party contained Test Players Shuja-Ud-Din, Hanif Mohammed and Isaar Ali plus a
further four who would eventually play Test Cricket. We learned later that in 31
arranged games on their tour, mainly against County 2nd XIs and some of the strongest
Club Sides in the country, the match with Weston was the only one the Pakistani
Eaglets lost on the whole tour. What an honour for Weston-super-Mare CC!